Friday, January 20, 2012

Is there a free japanese translator ipod touch app like jibbigo?

I'm going to japan and want a ipod app that can translate what people say in japanese (by speaking into the microphone) into english. I only know of jibbigo. Does jibbigo work well? Is there another similar program that is available as a free app?





I'm hesitant to buy jibbigo cause of the poor reviews I've seen. Thanks.|||I arrived in Osaka on Friday (3 days ago) on my first trip to Japan, knowing about 50 Japanese phrases. To be honest you only desperately need 10 phrases to make a holiday workable.





Sumimasen


Gomen Nasai





Ohayo Gozaimasu


Konnichiwa


Konbanwa





Ee Otenki Desu Ne?


So Desu Ne





Onegai Shimasu


Dozo





Oishikatta Desu


Arigato Gozaimasu





You also need to learn to politely acknowledge the Irrashimasu and Dozo Irrashimasu that you will hear from shop staff.





I use Jibbigo to translate the occasional word that I hear and it works ok. Sure, its voice recognition is primitive and prone to errors, but so is all voice recognition. At least it has a retranslate feature for stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment